Join our mailing list and stay up-to-date with news and events from East Kimberley Chamber Of Commerce and Industry.
State Government support
On 16 March 2020, the State Government announced:
- $607 million stimulus package to support WA households and small businesses in the wake of COVID-19
- $114 million in additional measures to support small businesses
- Small businesses that pay payroll tax will receive a one-off grant of $17,500
- $1 million payroll tax threshold brought forward by six months to 1 July 2020.
On 31 March 2020, the State Government announced:
- Electricity bills for around 95,000 small businesses will be reduced, with a one-off $2,500 credit available for Synergy and Horizon Power customers that consume less than 50 megawatt hours (MWh) per annum
- Payroll tax will be waived for a four-month period between March 1, 2020 to June 30, 2020 for small-to-medium sized businesses with Australia-wide annual wages of less than $7.5 million in 2019-20
- $100.4 million has been allocated to waive a wide range of licence fees for small and medium sized businesses in COVID-19 impacted industries for the next 12 months including licences for building services, plumbers and electricians, tourism businesses operating in national and marine parks, boat registration and mooring fees for tourism operators and commercial fishers, commercial fisheries licences, taxi booking service authorisation fees, settlement agent licence fees, and other statutory planning fees
- Liquor licence renewal fees for 2020 will be waived and refunds provided for businesses that have already paid
- Businesses impacted by COVID-19 can also apply for an interest-free payment arrangement and for late payment penalties to be waived for payroll tax, transfer duty, landholder duty, vehicle licence duty or land tax
- No small businesses facing financial difficulty due to COVID-19 will face power or water disconnections due to late payments with no interest charged on deferred bill payments- for electricity, this will apply to Synergy and Horizon Power customers who consume 50MWh or less.